Best Spondylitis Doctor in Delhi NCR
The problem of Spondylitis occurs due to degenerative changes in spine such as bone spurs and degenerating intervertebral discs. Generally it is an aging problem. With growing age the bones and ligament in the spine starts some wearing that leads to bone spurs (osteoarthritis). Our intervertebral discs also degenerate and become weak which can cause disc herniation and bulging discs.
Though Spondylitis is off-late has become very common problem and the symptoms of Spondylitis is often reported between 20 to 50 years of age. 80 percent of the people with above 40 years of age have evidence of Spondylitis on the X-ray studies.
Types of Spondylitis
- Cervical Spondylitis
- Multilevel Spondylitis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Lumbar Spondylitis
- Lumbosacral Spondylitis
Where does Spondylitis occur?
The problem of Spondylitis can occur in the cervical spine (neck), lumbar spine (lower back) or thoracic spine (upper and mid back). Out of these lumbar Spondylitis and cervical Spondylitis is found to be very common.
Symptoms of Spondylitis
Generally the symptoms are not very prominent initially. Infact lumbar Spondylitis is present in many people without any symptom. Some of the possible symptoms include:
- Back pain and neck pain due to nerve compression
- Pinch nerve in the neck can cause back pain and shoulder pain and headache
- Nerve compression and lower back pain
- Pain running down to leg
- The diagnosis procedure may include the following:
- Physical examining
- X-ray to check for bone spurs and other abnormalities
- CT scan to get detailed images of the neck
- EMG to check that nerves are functioning normally
- MRI helps the doctor to locate the pinched nerves
The objective of treatment is to alleviate your pain and stiffness as well as prevent and delay complication and spine deformity. The treatment of Spondylitis is quite successful before the disease causes irreversible damage to your joints.
The doctor may recommend medication that helps the patient if over the counter medicine does provide ample relief, it includes:
- Narcotics for pain relief
- Muscle relaxant medicine like cyclobenzaprine, which relax the muscle and treat muscles spasms
- Anti-eleptic drug to relieve pain that is caused by nerve damage
- Steroid injection; it significantly reduces tissue inflammation and consequently alleviate pain
Physical therapy is the most significant procedure of treatment that can provide several benefits. Physical therapy helps to relieve pain in the spine and improved strength and flexibility. Physical therapist design therapy and exercise according to the need of an individuals.
In cases where medication, therapy and other conservative does put significant effect, the doctor might recommend surgery if the patient is suffering from severe pain or damage or your hip joint is damaged so badly that it needs replacement.